There’s been some concern about the proliferation of red bags in our neighborhood twice a week. They are provided by the Advocate and local businesses advertise their weekly special savings. For every 10 people who don’t use this insert, 1 person depends on it for savings coupons and notices.
For others and especially for the uninhabited or abandoned houses (including out of town owners) these only litter the streets. And ultimately many find their way into the drains, increasing flooding problems on our streets.
If you wish to stop these from being tossed out in front of your house or a neighbor’s who you know does not reside here, please email your request with your address to: firstname.lastname@example.org and you will be taken off the list. It may take a few weeks as this is a one-person office, so he asked us to please be patient as he covers a large area of South LA.
Also, if you wish to be added to the list, please send your request to this email.
We thank The Advocate office for their clarification of this issue.
Uptown Messenger covered our General Meeting on Wednesday, September 23rd at Xavier Prep. See Robert’s coverage HERE.
Faubourg Avart has its own neighborhood on the popular private social network, NextDoor. NextDoor verifies your information including name and address, and is great for everything from lost pets, recommendations for a great painter to organizing a neighborhood event. And there are easy mobile versions as well.
To sign up for our local site, go to https://faubourgavart.nextdoor.com/login/ It’s very easy, but if you have any questions on how to sign in or use the site, please email Nancy and she’ll be happy to walk you through it.
We love NextDoor and encourage you to sign up for it!
Our Fall meeting is scheduled for Wednesday September 23, 2015 at 7pm at St Katherine Drexel (formerly Xavier Prep). We’re looking forward to seeing you all there!
Council Member Cantrell Addressing the FANA General Membership Meeting
Faubourg Avart held its Spring General Meeting at St Katherine Drexel Prep on April 29, 2015. Council Member LaToya Cantrell was the featured speaker, and caught the attendees up on recent events.
Also present was a representative from the Mayor’s office, Greg Lawson. He is the District B Liaison for the City.
The next General Meeting of FANA will take place on Wednesday April 23, 2014 at 7:00 PM in the cafeteria at St. Katharine Drexel Prep (formerly Xavier Prep).
Over fifty residents attended the first general meeting of the Faubourg Avart Neighborhood Association, which took place Wednesday February 27. Highlights of the meeting include:
- Introduction of the Board of Directors – Aimee Bonomolo, Tom Trouve, Diane Sinclair and Mark Tullis.
- A brief history of the formation of FANA, including reasons why the particular boundaries were chosen and the origin of the Avart name.
- Copies of the Articles of Incorporation and proposed By-Laws were distributed to those in attendance.
- Bryon Cornelison from Councilmember Latoya Cantrell’s office addressed the group to answer questions regarding city services.
- Bryan Lagarde of Project NOLA made a presentation of his organization’s surveillance camera program.
- Kendric Perkins of the New Orleans Recreation Development Commission discussed upcoming events at Wisner Park.
- Special thanks to St. James Cheese Company and The Wine Seller for providing food and drinks.
- Also a big thanks to Diane Sinclair to allowing her home to be the venue for the first meeting.
The next meeting will be in May.
R. Stephanie Bruno’s Streetwalker column on January 25th featured the 5200 block of Laurel Street, which is located within Faubourg Avart.
FANA will hold its first General Meeting on Wednesday February 27 at 7:00 PM at 1305 Soniat Street. An Agenda will be published here within a week of the meeting.